After a divorce is finalized and a court order is in place, a sense of relief can set in that the process is finally over. Sadly, that relief can be short lived if your ex refuses to abide by the order that was put in place. When this occurs, it can cause a lot of added stress, worry, and many other difficulties. We’ll work with you to demand that your order is enforced as it was intended by the courts. Whether this means working through the courts again, or involving law enforcement, we’ll do what it takes to ensure your order is followed.

Potential Failure to Follow an Order

Court orders are typically written in very precise language to help avoid misunderstandings. Of course, misunderstandings will still sometimes occur, and those can usually be worked out without too much trouble. When one party completely ignores an order, however, that can be a serious problem that needs to be addressed right away.

The following are some of the more common ways that people fail to follow a court order in family law:

  • Spousal or Child Support Payments – If your spouse was ordered to make spousal or child support payments and they fail to live up to that requirement, it is important to quickly take enforcement measures. Allowing them to get behind on payments will harm your financial stability, and make it more difficult for your ex to get caught up with their payments.
  • Parenting Time – If your ex does not return your child at the time and place where they are supposed to, it can be very worrisome. It can also be difficult on the child if your ex doesn’t show up for their parenting time. In either case, enforcement efforts may be needed if it becomes a serious issue.
  • Turning Over or Selling Assets – If a court order demands that a particular asset is given to you, it must be done within a reasonable amount of time. Some orders stipulate that a piece of property or other asset must be sold and the profits split. If either of these things are not done in a timely manner, enforcement actions can be taken.
  • Decisions for Children – Many court orders demand that all important medical and school related decisions are made by both parents, or at least that both are made aware. If this is not being done, the courts can take action to ensure your ex is following the requirements of the order.
    There are many other ways in which one party can violate a court order. While mistakes and misunderstandings can happen, it is important to have enforcement actions taken when there is intentional violation of an order.

Contact Us Today

The sooner you contact us the better the chances of getting favorable enforcement actions from the courts or law enforcement. Even if you aren’t sure whether or not enforcement action is possible in your situation, please get in touch with us to go over your situation right away. We can help whether we represented you in your divorce, or you would be coming in as a new client.


Contact Us